Did You Know?
There’s a phrase I hear quite often from my clients: “I wish I had called you sooner.”
I understand the hesitation to call is based on any number of reasons. Allow me to explain why it’s better to know your rights and decide not to act, than to act without knowing your rights.
- Don’t let your feelings get in the way of yours and your children’s best interests. I meet so many really good, trusting people in my practice, and I’m honored to represent them. The decisions you make today can affect you for the rest of your life. My job is to take on the stress you’re feeling and help guide you into doing what will give you the best possible outcome.
- Everything you tell me will be 100% private…whether or not you hire me as your attorney. Everyone, including my firm’s receptionist, won’t even disclose the fact that you called. We will only ask your name to ensure there is no conflict of interest with an existing client. If you decide to meet with me you can feel comforted and confident that whatever you tell me will go no further.
- Your initial consultation will cost you nothing but time. I’ll ask you to let me know some level-setting information (like names, addresses, and marital history). Then I’ll ask you more personal information, such as finances, children and other issues. I’ll do this because – no matter what you may have heard from well-meaning friends and relatives – every family law case is unique. Only by asking these questions can I help present you with how best to move forward.
- Knowledge is power. And I want you to have both. Once I assess your situation, I will be able to more accurately let you know what you can realistically expect as a result of a divorce. I’ll discuss the divorce process with you, including custody and parenting time, property division, child and spousal support, and taxes, insurance and more.
- We’ll discuss cost.Before you leave our consultation, I’ll also give you an estimate of how much your divorce (or other Family Law matter) might cost. Everyone’s divorce is different, and the cost of a divorce depends largely on how straightforward, complex or contentious your divorce may be.
Many People Don’t Know…
- Spousal support/alimony is not automatically awarded in divorce cases in Michigan. If you decide to retain me, you can rest assured that I have the knowledge, experience and expertise to present a strong case on your behalf, as I have for hundreds of clients.
- Just because Michigan is a “no-fault divorce” state, the court can take “fault” into consideration when determining other aspects of your divorce. “No-fault” only means neither spouse has to prove “fault” or marital misconduct on the part of the other. But a spouse’s actions during the marriage can affect financial obligations, custody, parenting time and more. It can be costly to make assumptions during a divorce. Don’t guess. Know.
- Don’t let your spouse tell you “you’ll get nothing if you divorce me.” I can’t name one case in 30 years of practicing Divorce and Family Law where that was true. Some people think that the bullying tactics they used throughout a marriage can go on forever. Don’t believe it.
- The person you choose as your attorney matters. Whether or not you retain me, it’s important that you choose a professional with the expertise to handle all aspects of your situation. That’s especially critical in complex marital issues – such as when high net-worth marital estates and business valuations are part of the equation.
Why Hire Me?
- I’ve made a career effectively representing men and women throughout Michigan in all divorce and Family Law matters, with a focus on highly complex divorce cases.
- I believe in working hard to protect my clients’ best interests.
- I’m dedicated to minimizing stress and maximizing results for my clients as productively and efficiently as possible.
- My goal is to protect my clients’ financial security and obtain the results that they deserve, while making every effort to keep legal fees as low as possible.
- In addition to my regular business hours, I’m available for evening and weekend appointments